Sunday, 29 April 2012

ENO's 2012/13 Season


I've definitely not been quick off the mark with this one, but then there still isn't much about the ENO that really gets my ticker racing. However the ENO have announced their 2012/13 season, and it actually looks pretty interesting. Maybe this is the year that I truly find London's second opera company (to be fair, Eugene Onegin and Tosca this season were great). The full season can be found at the following link, below are my personal highlights. Oh and by the way, the old chap in the picture is Mr Walt Disney, lovely man, the reason why is below.

My ENO 2012/13 highlights

Carmen (Bizet), November/December 2012 - Apparently a pretty acclaimed version. I've only seen Carmen once and it was now quite some time ago. It's a fun opera, packed with great music and memorable tunes so I think this should be worth checking out.

La traviata (Verdi), February/March 2013 - La traviata is simply the best opera as far as i'm concerned. I'm sure this won't be on the same level as the Royal Opera's production, but it sounds interesting. Apparently it's an edited version...Not sure what that means as i'm not sure what you can edit! It'll certainly be worth a look though, if only to listen to Verdi's sumptuous score.

The Barber of Seville (Rossini), February/March 2013 - I enjoyed this at Covent Garden last year and I hoped to see it when it came to the Hackney Empire recently. This may even be the same production actually as it was the English Touring Opera who performed it in Hackney and I think they may be linked to the ENO. It's a fun opera anyway, so should be good.

The Perfect American (Glass), June 2013 - Yes, this is the reason for the picture of old Walt. Phillip Glass brings a brand new opera to the ENO all about the life and times of Walt Disney. I don't think it's really possible to paint a positive picture of Disney, and from what I've read this should be quite a gritty portrayal. I think this could be the highlight of the season for me. There's no dedicated area on the website yet, so sadly i can't provide a link through to production information.





No comments:

Post a Comment