Sunday, 19 February 2012

My Covent Garden 2012/13 wish list

I'm not an expert at this, so instead of predicting what the Royal Opera might stage in 2012/13 I'm just going to draw up a list of what i'd like to see. I believe the new season will be announced over the next few months, many major opera houses have already announced their plans. What we do know of course is that the season kicks off in September with Wagner's Ring Cycle, for which I already have my (exceedingly cheap!) tickets for. I don't plan on attending every production next season as I have done in 2011/12 - I'll be more selective, especially as I'm now getting a firm idea of what floats my boat and what causes it to flounder rapidly! So please find below my wish list as it were - not one for the hardcore types perhaps, but it'd keep my smiling and throwing money at Covent Garden.

My ROH 2012/13

Carmen - The first opera I ever saw back in 2007. I would love to see it a second time round, and I would love to drag some lucky souls along with me to this as I think it's an excellent first opera!

Madama Butterfly - I did see this at the ROH only last year and loved it. What I would dearly like to see in 2012/13 would be the cast that was drawn together for the recent recording of this masterpiece. That would mean Angela Gheroghiu and Jonas Kaufmann conducted by Sir Antonio Pappano. What a treat that would be!

Norma - No idea why as I know nothing about this opera at all!

Eugene Onegin - After seeing this at the ENO in December, i'd love to see a first class Royal Opera production. Great opera.

Tristan und Isolde - The jury is still out for me on Wagner, but this opera seems really appealing from what I've heard about it.

Aida - I was supposed to see this last year, but was ill. I've heard the current ROH production is a bit naff, but i'd still love to see it. I doubt this will be on though seeing as it's had two outings in as many years already.

Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail - After the Don Giovanni disaster this may seem like an odd choice. But I've wanted to see this Mozart opera for years, ever since I got a Mozart CD with 'Singt dem grossen Bassa Lieder' on it!

Well there we go then - I think if they stage at least two of those i'll be happy! But I've still only touched the tip of the operatic iceberg so the new season is likely to be a winner for me regardless!






No comments:

Post a Comment